News & Updates
Counting Down a Stellar 2016 in Your Park
Your Park is winding down another spectacular year! From engaging more volunteers than ever before to bringing new environmental sustainability initiatives to our community, there’s much to celebrate. As we enter these last days of December, we’re taking a look back at 2016's many successes, and we wanted to share a few of our favorites…
- Your Park’s Summer of Fun was truly epic -- 59,517 people joined us for 206 free events!
- 10,715 children from NYC schools and summer camp groups attended field trips and explored science in the park!
- 45,815 runners and walkers flocked to our piers and esplanades for 58 charity events, including the 911 Memorial 5K and Community Day, Walk MS, and the USO 5K Run/walk.
- 1,992 volunteers rolled up their sleeves and donated 6,435 hours of their time to beautify our parklands!
- 32,179 pounds of waste were diverted by our composting initiative—ensuring that your Park is greener than ever.
- Approximately 61,000 Hudson River adventurers embarked from our piers in kayaks, canoes and sailboats!
- 7,000 budding scientists enjoyed our annual SUBMERGE NYC Marine Science Festival.
- All 2,004 of your Park’s trees were monitored and measured to calculate the ecosystem services that they provide.
- The Olympic spirit burned bright in your Park this summer! From August 5-11, Citi Celebrates Team USA: Rio on the Hudson brought over 2,500 visitors to Pier 26 each day.
- Our marine debris stewardship project enabled us to remove 3,005 pieces of plastic debris from the Gansevoort Peninsula.
- Lights by L’Oréal brought sustainable illumination to your Park, enabling us to retrofit 322 TBTA light poles with LED lamps along our piers and esplanades!
- Over 15,000 of you are following us on Facebook, 11,000 on Instagram, and nearly 9,000 on Twitter (and if you're not, you're missing out)!
Thank you, Park fans, for joining us for a wonderful year of play, learning and relaxation. We can’t wait to see what 2017 will bring!