John J. Harvey
at Chelsea Waterside W24th St
Varied. See fireboat.org
Subway & Bus Lines
1 at 28th St.
Privately owned fireboat, John J. Harvey is moored at Pier 66 Maritime.
John J. Harvey takes irregular but frequent free public trips, sponsored by the owners, in New York harbor. In addition, her magnificent harbor displays are frequent in warm weather.
John J. Harvey was built in 1931 and named for FDNY pilot John J. Harvey who was killed aboard fireboat Thomas Willett while fighting a fire aboard the North German Lloyd Line's SS Muenchen. At 130 feet and 268 gross tons, she is among the most powerful fireboats ever in service, capable of pumping up to 18,000 gallons of water a minute. Harvey assisted during such notable fires as the Cunard Line pier fire in 1932, the burning of the Normandie in 1942, and the ammunition ship El Estero during World War II. She served the FDNY until her retirement in 1994.
On September 11, 2001, John J. Harvey was reactivated as FDNY Marine 2. Alongside FDNY fireboats Firefighter and John D. McKean, she pumped water for 80 hours, until water mains were restored.
Pier 66 Maritime is also home to the legendary light house tender Frying Pan. Harvey's home is provided by the generosity of Angela Krevey and her late, greatly missed, husband John, whose vision was the catalyst for saving the fireboat.