News & Updates
Are you Ready to Choose Park over Plastic?
Globally, plastic pollution is threatening the health of our waters. Between 4.8 and 12.7 million tons of plastic enter the ocean each year, harming wildlife and releasing toxic chemicals into our environment. By 2050, there will be more pounds of plastic in the ocean than fish.
Plastics pervade our daily lives because they’re cheap, malleable and durable. Unfortunately, many plastics used today are single-use: manufactured with the purpose to be used only once and then discarded. Nearly all of the disposable plastics ever produced still exist in one form or another – often ending up in our waterways.
In HRPK’s Estuarine Sanctuary, we see the impact of plastic pollution every day. Half of NYC rainstorms push domestic waste – including non-biodegradable plastics – into the Hudson River. Since 2015, we’ve counted and removed nearly 22,000 pieces of plastic from our shorelines.
We’re over it. Aren’t you?
Since the Park’s creation, our 400-acre Estuarine Sanctuary – home to 70 species of fish including seahorses, eels and striped bass – has informed virtually every aspect of Park planning and operations. To continue to be the best possible stewards to our protected waters, it’s time to take action on single-use plastics.
This year, we’re expanding parkwide sustainability efforts to launch Park Over Plastic – a growing alliance of Park staff, vendors, and community members, like you, to decrease plastic pollution in the Park and educate on the impacts of plastic in the Park’s sanctuary waters.
Our 2019 Park Over Plastic Goals:
- Reduce single-use plastics at Park events and tenant operations
- Increase recycling and water bottle filler stations throughout the Park
- Help sports fields and Park users eliminate single-use plastics
- Collaborate with “Green Partners” to reduce plastic park-wide
- Increase shoreline cleanups and continue Park research on plastic pollution and microplastics
- Strategically track Park Over Plastic’s impact on plastic use
It’s time to choose Park over Plastic. We hope you’ll join us.