News & Updates
Celebrate Science and Sustainability at SUBMERGE!
Our sixth annual SUBMERGE Marine Science Festival is right around the corner on Saturday, September 28th from 11 AM to 4 PM on Hudson River Park’s Pier 84. Presented by HRPK’s Estuary Lab, this free festival offers the public a full day of water and science fun, awesome experiments and local wildlife. This year, you’ll find activities for scientists of all ages including kid-approved science entertainment, kayaking, fishing and more!
SUBMERGE is the perfect place to explore science in HRPK and beyond. This year’s festival includes a Science Stage with live birds of prey, wild water experiments and Hudson River themed music. In addition, our newest tent the Critter Corner will introduce you to Hudson River wildlife face to face! Horseshoe crabs, oyster toadfish, terrapins and more – meet your marine neighbors and find your new favorite animal at SUBMERGE.
In Hudson River Park, a central part of celebrating our local waters is protecting them. This spring, we launched Park Over Plastic – a collective of Park staff, vendors and community members that aims to reduce our plastic footprint and improve the health of the Hudson River. Read on to learn about the ways that SUBMERGE is choosing Park Over Plastic and how you can, too!
Sparking conversations about plastic pollution:
- HRPK Estuary Lab’s Discovery Lab tent is the perfect place for budding scientists to explore marine science. This year, children will have the opportunity to explore microplastics and the impacts of plastic pollution on our waterway using microscopes alongside Estuary Lab educators.
- In addition to HRPK’s Estuary Lab, several festival partners will discuss the impacts of plastic pollution at their research stations. Cafeteria Culture will be looking at microplastics under microscopes and building degradation spectrums of plastic debris and Testing Our Waters will be building DIY microplastic trawls to measure plastic pollution.
Building sustainable partnerships:
- Sustainability is a community affair and this year we’re fortunate to partner with Billion Oyster Project, Clarkson University, Lower East Side Ecology Center, & the NY/NJ Harbor & Estuary Program to further our Park Over Plastic mission at SUBMERGE. Big thanks, 2019 Sustainability Partners!
- Each year, children 12 & under can participate in the Festival Passport Challenge, which encourages them to have conversations with scientists and collect stamps after learning something new. After collecting 10 or more stamps, children can collect a prize at the festival Info Tent. This year’s passport prize will be a notebook made from recycled materials – perfect for back to school.
- Science meets art at the Discovery Lab! Creative young scientists can join HRPK Estuary Lab educators and teaching artists from the Children’s Museum of the Arts for plastic-free arts and crafts.
You can choose Park Over Plastic at SUBMERGE, too!
- BYO reusable water bottle to SUBMERGE! During SUBMERGE, you’ll find conveniently located bottle fillers as well as mobile hydration stations throughout the festival, so you can stay hydrated.
- Maximize your snacking while minimizing your plastic footprint by taking along your reusable flatware and metal straws.
- Love sustainable giveaways? Bring a cloth tote bag to carry your SUBMERGE swag home at the end of the festival.
We can’t wait for our greenest SUBMERGE yet! Mark your calendars for Saturday, September 28, and get ready for a day of hands-on science and sustainability. While you're at the festival, SUBMERGE be sure to also yourself in a selfie booth provided by DigiBooths and get some awesome pictures to post on all of your favorite social media platforms!