Pier 51 Play Area
Pier 51 Play Area is open after the completion of its renovations.
Normal hours are 8am - dusk all year. Water features are turned off in the Winter.
Pier 51 Comfort Station
Subway & Bus Lines
A,C,E,L at 14th St.
1 at Christopher St.
UPCOMING CLOSURE TO P51 Play Area
Hudson River Park is improving the playgrounds at Piers 25 and 51. The safety surfaces at both playgrounds require restoration after years of heavy use and exposure to the elements. During the restoration process, contractors will also improve drainage, apply protective sealants and make other miscellaneous repairs needed for a combination of safety and maintenance reasons. These improvements will ensure that the playgrounds remain a safe place for children to play. Both playgrounds are scheduled to re-open by Summer 2019.
Named as one of Time Out New York Kids' "25 Best Playgrounds in New York City", this exciting playground features climbing equipment and slides, water and sand play, a pretend boat hull and benches. Open all year, but water features are turned off seasonally.
From Time Out New York Kids: "We’re big fans of the playground’s equipment—including a challenging set of monkey bars and a spiral ramp leading to a pirate’s lookout in the playground’s center—and tot-friendly sand area, but its outstanding feature is the soak-worthy fun it provides via giant kid-activated water gushers and buckets. Don’t forget the towels."
Educational features at this playspace include a replica of Minetta Brook. Once a part of Manhattan’s wetland ecosystem, the real Minetta Brook now runs underground. The flow of water in the brook is controlled by interactive play structures. Brass animals, such as turtles and crabs, dot the playground. The sand play area and fences also recall Manhattan’s ecological history.
While not immediately obvious, the jungle gym pays homage to the “White Fort” which was once located on nearby Gansevoort Peninsula ("Gansevoort" means "white fort" in Dutch). Also known as Fort Gansevoort, this was an important part of New York City’s military campaign during the War of 1812. It was razed in the mid 1850’s to make way for new market uses.