HRPK’s Maidenhair (Ginkgo) trees are located in Greenwich Village and at Pier 84. They are among the most easily identifiable trees in the Park because of their distinctive, fan-shaped leaves. They have a deep root system that makes them perfect for withstanding the strong winds that blow across the Hudson River.
Lifespan: Up to 1000 years
Height: 65 – 115 Feet
What makes gingko trees unique:
- Ginkgo biloba is the only living species left in the division Ginkgophyta. All other species in this division have gone extinct.
- Fossils of the Ginkgo tree date back 270 million years.
- Ginkgo trees are dioecious, meaning that each ginkgo tree is either male or female.
- The Ginkgo is the official tree of Tokyo and the leaf is the symbol of the city.
- The Ginkgo has many uses in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).