The West Side waterfront is full of historical artifacts and maritime stories. Students learn about NYC’s rich waterfront history while touring a historic vessel and practicing nautical skills like knot tying.
- Students will learn the history of the New York waterfront from the 17th to 20th centuries through story-telling and applied enrichment games
- Students will tour a historic vessel to understand its historical significance
- Students will be able to identify different parts of either a steamship at Pier 25 in Tribeca or a lightship at Pier 66a in Chelsea
- Students will develop mastery of three knots: square, bowline and cleat hitch
- Student capacity: 30 students per program
- Cost: $200 (waivers available upon demonstration of need)
- Teacher chaperones: One chaperone is required for every 10 students (1:10 ratio) at minimum