Maritime Voyage is currently unavailable. Please check back later for updated program offerings or sign up for our mailing list here.
The West Side waterfront is full of historical artifacts and maritime stories. Students learn about NYC’s rich waterfront history while touring a historic vessel and practicing nautical skills like knot tying.
- Students will learn the history of the New York waterfront from the 17th to 20th centuries through story-telling and applied enrichment games
- Students will tour a historic vessel to understand its historical significance
- Students will be able to identify different parts of either a steamship at Pier 25 in Tribeca or a lightship at Pier 66a in Chelsea
- Students will develop mastery of three knots: square, bowline and cleat hitch
What Teachers Say about the Program:
- “This program was engaging and connected well to the Common Core Learning Standards. It is great that [the Frying Pan lightship] tour addressed science and history concepts. Not only did they learn about the parts and the mechanics of a lightship, they were able to appreciate the role that a lightship played in our nation’s history.” —5th Grade Teacher, Queens